Monday, September 27, 2010

Ginny Lloyd : ABAD at The Jaffe Center For Book Arts at FAU [110]

Artist Ginny Lloyd recently exhibited A Book About Deat at Florida Atlantic University's Jaffe Center for Book Arts.  She writes:  

"When the A Book About Death project and exhibition was announced I knew this was something special that I wanted to be a part of, as an artist participant in all ways. I made immediate plans to attend the opening at the Emily Harvey Gallery in NYC and worked on my submission while I was on vacation. It wasn’t easy, coming up with a concept and executing it remotely, but I made the deadline. [Photo, above, from left to right: Keith Buchholz, Reed Altemus, Bibiana Maltos, Reid Wood, Ginny Lloyd].

"Attending the opening, seeing other artists I had not been in touch with for years and gathering my copy of the original show was an experience. By the time I had stooped over boxes and boxes, increasing the load in my bag as I collected “pages” of the book, I felt I was in an interactive theater experiencing death by book. I joked with a few other artists that Matthew had wanted us to be the unwitting participants of this death theater by placing the boxes in rows on the floor in a hot room.

"Carrying the book back to my hotel room and subsequently organizing it for the flight home I felt I had obtained a treasure. Little did I realize at the time how this project would grow and circulate the world with many variations on the original exhibit.

"This summer when my 80s archive was collected by the curator at the Florida Atlantic University’s Jaffe Center for Book Arts for an impending display of my work and archives titled Carbon Alternative, I showed him my copy of A Book About Death. John immediately loved the concept and wanted to dedicate a case just for the book. The photographs you see document this display.

"Appearing one afternoon during the Carbon Alternative exhibition was the Inter-Florida Fluxus Tour including Keith Buchholz, Bibiana Maltos, Reed Altemus, Reid Wood (and me). All of us were in the original exhibit and also attended the Emily Harvey Gallery opening a year ago. The book brought us to together in NYC and again in Florida. So the cycle continues."

If you would like more information about the Carbon Alternative exhibit, 80s art, or the tour check out the following: Carbon Alternative show July 15th to October 18th at
Inter-Florida Fluxus Tour

Information about 80s activities and art at: http://ginnylloyd.blogspot.com.  Image above: Ginny Lloyd's piece for A Book About Death (NYC September 2009).

No comments: